THE NIGHT I MET ARETHA


The Night I Met ARETHA
 by
Joseph Lorenzo Wise

Nothing like death to get you thinking about the past.  I loved Aretha Franklin.  All my life Aretha has been there with a song.  I can't remember not knowing a time when an Aretha song wasn't on the Radio or on the Television or someone was just singing...  "R  E S P  E C T" on the street corner, at a workshop or using it as a slogan.

Aretha was always there and so much so, that we took it for granted that she would always be there. Franklin was like your aunt, your sister, your Godmother or just a good friend.  She seemed to be able to touch people of all colors and walks of life.  We all embraced Aretha through her ups and downs, through weight loss and weight gain, through tragedy and triumph.

I saw Aretha at Radio City Music Hall in New York City in the 90s and it was one of those concerts where if you were not high when you went in, you were high when you went out whether you had a drink or a smoke.  I swear I thought the roof was going to collapse.  

Her voice was like an earthquake. I believe it moved the chandeliers in Radio City that night.  Opening on a set made of colorful boxes the then hefty Franklin let out a glissando that went from the deep depths of her voice to the highest heights of her exciting upper range.  The audience went nuts and it was just the first song. 

She strutted, she pranced, she seemed to be enjoying herself and the rowdy crowd.  So when she brought it all the way down to sing a sweet ballad, you could hear a pin drop. She mesmerized and silenced the crowd and then roared back with “Freeway of Love”.  

I walked six blocks in the wrong direction after the show.  I lived on 55th St but somehow ended up in Times Square with ears ringing from the loudest most raucous audience I can ever remember and of course it was sold out.


Like many others I’ve been watching all of Aretha’s videos and hearing her songs.  I found this one amazing film from 1968 in Amsterdam.  If you want to see what it was like at the beginning, the voice so strong and hits one right after the other with an audience in need of restraint, watch this video.  All the hoopla didn’t seem to phase a focused Ms. Franklin one bit.  She was there to “SANG” and “SANG” she did.


 Cut to Los Angeles 2004 at the Greek Theater.  It was a star-studded audience.  Chaka Kahn and Natalie Cole were sitting right near us.  I was invited to the concert by Jenifer Lewis who of course brought her entourage.  After the concert we all followed Lewis backstage to meet Aretha.  Backstage at the Greek, there was a line of celebrities and well wishers waiting to speak to Aretha and have a moment with her.
 
I was the last person in the line.  When it was Jenifer’s turn, there was a lot of hooping and hollering and laughter, then the rest of us “the guests” got to file by and meet and greet Aretha. 
After all the excitement died down, I was standing there and  Aretha turned and looked me as if to say “Honey I’m glad you are the last one”.  She looked me dead in the eye and smiled at me like a Mom would smile at a son.  


She said “well what can I do for you”.  I said well “I just want to tell you how much I love  your music and you and get a hug”.  She smiled and opened her arms and I fell into those big Mama Arms and she hugged me strong and long.  Right about then a loud voice in the corridor yelled “JOE”, you know who that was.  Aretha looked at me and we both just shook our heads and laughed as I waved bye bye.

 I hadn’t thought about that night in years.  When I heard the news that Aretha was gravely ill, that night came rushing back into my mind.  I m so grateful that I had that opportunity.  Just think about it, being alone backstage for a private moment with Aretha Franklin. You can’t plan or buy such a delight.

 Aretha’s passing has been extremely painful, like losing a family member, all over again to that terrible disease.  I lost my Mother and Sister in a similar fashion.  When I watch that Kennedy Center performance and see the emotion on the faces of Carole King, President Obama and Cicely Tyson, that’s how I felt when I met Aretha, I knew I was in the presence of someone very special, Divine. 
God certainly blessed her with a giant talent.  She learned to play piano by ear, (though later in life she studied classical piano with a Julliard graduate in New York), and she was gifted with that magnificent voice that sends you. 

When I saw the picture of the little boy who ran onto the stage at MusiCares and hugged Aretha around the waist during the last few notes of “Nessun Dorma”, tears ran down my face.  That little boy was me, backstage at the Greek Theater, and the way she hugged him was just how she hugged me... with love.  I will never forget it!


Aretha may be gone physically but she will always be a part of my life and the lives of many others, even those who have not been born yet!  Aretha Franklin will always be one of the greatest musical artists to walk this planet.  


Thank You
ARETHA FRANKLIN
WELL DONE!!!


Copyright 2018 Joseph Lorenzo Wise. All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog